My mother had cancer (cervical) before I was born. She had surgery, and she beat it.
She got cancer again when I was 12. In her tongue. She had surgery and radiation. She beat it again.
It came back when I was 21 - a senior in college. She came to my graduation in a surgical mask so she wouldn't catch any germs, and postponed her surgery until two days after my graduation. She still threw me a graduation party. She had chemo and radiation, and she beat it.
This ugly thing came back again when I was 23. She was diagnosed in January, and she was gone in July. It spread and spread and spread, and there is only so much a person's body can handle. And, like that, my world shifted, and my best friend left me, and our family was left holding her precious bags of yarn, her boxes of vintage dishes, and her racks and racks of floral dresses.
My mom was my world. I don't know if you can tell from the photo below.
My mom died before I was even engaged, which was truly heartbreaking to me. Her biggest dream was to see her daughters get married. Growing up, we talked a lot about weddings. We talked about gowns and rings and how she prayed for us to marry the perfect person.
We talked. I miss that.
The anniversary of Mum's death is July 16. 5 years. So, sometimes, July sucks. But this year, July is going to be awesome. Why?
Because I'm giving away a wedding.
Yes. For real. This is not a joke.
I'm giving away a wedding package for the upcoming 2017 season.
I'm giving away a wedding package to a couple who has experienced loss like this - a death of a parent. A parental death that is gutwrenching and tiring and all sorts of everything. The cancer community is a heartbreaking community to be a part of, but it's a community nonetheless. And I'm giving back in honor of her.
Here's what's included:
- 8 hours of photography coverage
- 1 photographer
- Disc(s) of fully edited high resolution images from your wedding
- Online gallery of fully edited web resolution images from your wedding
- Full printing rights to your images so that you can print and share to your heart's content :)
- Engagement session
- Online gallery of both high resolution and web resolution images from your engagement session
- Travel within a 2-hour radius of Poughkeepsie, NY
And here's the fine print:
- Applicants must have a parent who has passed away
- Applicants must have a date and a venue secured
- Applicants must complete the application process (below)
- Applicants cannot already be contracted for the upcoming 2017 season
- Applicants cannot have already inquired for the upcoming 2017 season
- Travel over 2 hours from Poughkeepsie, NY is permissible, if the couple is willing to pay for this extra travel and potential lodging
- Nominations are accepted and encouraged; if you know of someone who has experienced loss such as this, feel free to nominate them!
And here's where to apply or nominate!
I can't wait to read and share in your stories.